Eating Fruits and Vegetables All Year Long
How Can Fruits & Veggies–More Matters Month Make a Difference?
We use this month to raise awareness about the importance of getting enough fruits and vegetables. However, you can make a difference all year long with the following ideas:
- Spread the word about programs that support local agriculture.
- Encourage families and co-workers to make small changes, such as keeping fresh fruit or carrot sticks within easy reach.
- Motivate local restaurants, stores and other businesses to provide quality foods made with fresh fruits and vegetables.
Benefits of Having More Fruits & Vegetables in Your Diet
Eating a healthy diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables can help you:
- Lower your risk of heart disease and some types of cancer
- Maintain or reach a healthy weight
- Keep your body strong and active
Tips for Eating More Fruits & Vegetables
One easy tip for eating more fruits and vegetables is by making sure they consist of up to half of what you eat, every time you eat a meal. Also, all forms of fruits and vegetables count. Whether it is frozen, fresh, canned or dried, all types of fruits and vegetables can benefit you.
Other tips for including more fruits and veggies in your diet include:
- Keep a bowl of fruit handy where the whole family can see it.
- Cut up fruits and veggies ahead of time so they are ready for quick, healthy snacks.
- Challenge your family to try a new veggie and fruit every week.
How to Spread the Word about Eating More Fruits & Vegetables
We have put together a list of helpful tools and resources to help you take action today, including:
For more information, contact us here at Brashear Family Medical with the link below!